Wrongfully Convicted Rape Suspects Released
A peasant from Zhecheng County in Henan Province, Zhang Zhenfeng, was recently released after it was found that he was wrongfully convicted three years ago. Twelve criminal cases occurred in Zhecheng County in one month in 2007 and were quickly investigated and resolved by local police within the short span of five days.
Zhang was arrested by local police on June 3, 2007. In November 2008, he was sentenced to death with reprieve by the Shangqiu City Intermediate People's Courts on charges of gang rape, robbery, and possession of counterfeit money. Four other defendants in the same case were peasants from Zhang's village. Two were sentenced to life imprisonment, while the other two received 15 year sentences.
- Cuts to Benchmark Interest Rates Will Squeeze Banks' Profits, Analysts Say
- Court to Rehear 1996 Murder Case that Ended with Suspect's Execution
- Websites Offering Subtitles for Foreign TV Shows, Movies Shut Down
- A Hundred-Year Stagnation? For Who?
- The Week in Photos: November 15 – 21
- Rising Again
- Central Bank Cuts Benchmark Lending Rate
- A Passage to India
- Hike in Train Ticket Prices This Year 'Unlikely After All'
- Graphics: Sino-Australian Trade Deal
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- The Low Official Found with Towering Pile of Cash, Gold and Properties
- At Factory Waste Ponds, Fumes Choke Fantasies
- Some Shanghai FTZ Reform Ideas Introduced to Rest of Country
- Closer Look: Why Shanghai-Hong Kong Stock Connect Was One-Way Road
- Graft Busters Find another Cash Pile, but Family Denies Corruption
- Justin Lin Ignores Population Factor with Growth Predictions
- Gov't Gives Academics Failing Grade for Fraud in Research Funding
- Canceled Mexican Rail Contract Gives Chinese Firms Chance to Reflect
- Sixth NEA Official This Year Is Investigated for Corruption
- Civilized Liberties: What Matters in Preparing Gifts?