Wrongfully Convicted Rape Suspects Released
A peasant from Zhecheng County in Henan Province, Zhang Zhenfeng, was recently released after it was found that he was wrongfully convicted three years ago. Twelve criminal cases occurred in Zhecheng County in one month in 2007 and were quickly investigated and resolved by local police within the short span of five days.
Zhang was arrested by local police on June 3, 2007. In November 2008, he was sentenced to death with reprieve by the Shangqiu City Intermediate People's Courts on charges of gang rape, robbery, and possession of counterfeit money. Four other defendants in the same case were peasants from Zhang's village. Two were sentenced to life imprisonment, while the other two received 15 year sentences.
- Graphic: Should It Stay or Should It Go?
- Senior Inner Mongolia Official Latest to Run Afoul of Graft Investigators
- Closer Look: Jack Ma Loves Hong Kong. So Is He Moving There?
- Modi's India Awaits China's Xi
- After Years of Dominance, UnionPay's Enemies Arrive at the Gates
- 500 Bln Yuan Question: Is PBOC Going to Ease Liquidity for Certain Banks?
- Scotland Referendum
- Myanmar Heroin
- Cloudy River
- Typhoon Kalmaegi
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Spectre of Corruption Haunts Huawei
- Will Education Firm New Oriental Learn or Lose?
- UnionPay, Apple Said to Agree on U.S. Firm's New Payment Technology
- Coming to Grips with Ammonia in China's Haze
- Gov't Again Cracks Down on Schools for Migrant Workers' Children
- Closer Look: Alibaba's Looming IPO Sends Shockwaves through Bourses at Home, Abroad
- New-Energy Car Market Is Open Road, BYD CEO Wang Chuanfu Says
- PBOC Punishes Payment Companies for Mishandling Bank Card Transactions
- Media Outlet Blackmailed over 100 Companies, Xinhua Reports
- Gov't Cobbles Together Funding for Slum Renovation Projects