Wrongfully Convicted Rape Suspects Released
A peasant from Zhecheng County in Henan Province, Zhang Zhenfeng, was recently released after it was found that he was wrongfully convicted three years ago. Twelve criminal cases occurred in Zhecheng County in one month in 2007 and were quickly investigated and resolved by local police within the short span of five days.
Zhang was arrested by local police on June 3, 2007. In November 2008, he was sentenced to death with reprieve by the Shangqiu City Intermediate People's Courts on charges of gang rape, robbery, and possession of counterfeit money. Four other defendants in the same case were peasants from Zhang's village. Two were sentenced to life imprisonment, while the other two received 15 year sentences.
- Scientists Issue Warning over Development of Coastal Wetlands
- Clearing the Air with a Sino-U.S. Climate Pact
- Rate Cuts Will Give Short-Term Boost to Property Sales, Analysts Say
- Heshan Stabbing
- Built to Blast
- Views: Assessing APEC
- China Takes Another Step toward Capital Freedom
- Will the lower benchmark lending interest rate mean reduced borrowing costs for companies?
- Cuts to Benchmark Interest Rates Will Squeeze Banks' Profits, Analysts Say
- Court to Rehear 1996 Murder Case that Ended with Suspect's Execution
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- The Low Official Found with Towering Pile of Cash, Gold and Properties
- At Factory Waste Ponds, Fumes Choke Fantasies
- Some Shanghai FTZ Reform Ideas Introduced to Rest of Country
- Closer Look: Why Shanghai-Hong Kong Stock Connect Was One-Way Road
- Justin Lin Ignores Population Factor with Growth Predictions
- Canceled Mexican Rail Contract Gives Chinese Firms Chance to Reflect
- A Passage to India
- Sixth NEA Official This Year Is Investigated for Corruption
- Websites Offering Subtitles for Foreign TV Shows, Movies Shut Down
- Head of Troubled Li-Ning Co. Hands Baton to Company's Founder