Wrongfully Convicted Rape Suspects Released
A peasant from Zhecheng County in Henan Province, Zhang Zhenfeng, was recently released after it was found that he was wrongfully convicted three years ago. Twelve criminal cases occurred in Zhecheng County in one month in 2007 and were quickly investigated and resolved by local police within the short span of five days.
Zhang was arrested by local police on June 3, 2007. In November 2008, he was sentenced to death with reprieve by the Shangqiu City Intermediate People's Courts on charges of gang rape, robbery, and possession of counterfeit money. Four other defendants in the same case were peasants from Zhang's village. Two were sentenced to life imprisonment, while the other two received 15 year sentences.
- WeChat 'Glitch' Allows Family to Raise over 2 Million Yuan in 80 Minutes
- China's VAT Rebate Reform Aims to Boost Local Government Fiscal Strength
- Share Splits Raise Stock Market Suspicions
- China Faces Severe Coal Transport Capacity Shortage
- Audi Scraps Plans for New China Dealer Network
- Regions Found to Have 'Critical' Heavy Metal Emissions Now Clean Up Act
- Official PMI Spikes as Producer Prices Rise, Exports Surge
- China Adds 10% Consumption Tax for Superluxury Cars
- News Calendar, December 5-11
- Caixin's Manufacturing Indicator Dips to 50.9 in November
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter