Wrongfully Convicted Rape Suspects Released
A peasant from Zhecheng County in Henan Province, Zhang Zhenfeng, was recently released after it was found that he was wrongfully convicted three years ago. Twelve criminal cases occurred in Zhecheng County in one month in 2007 and were quickly investigated and resolved by local police within the short span of five days.
Zhang was arrested by local police on June 3, 2007. In November 2008, he was sentenced to death with reprieve by the Shangqiu City Intermediate People's Courts on charges of gang rape, robbery, and possession of counterfeit money. Four other defendants in the same case were peasants from Zhang's village. Two were sentenced to life imprisonment, while the other two received 15 year sentences.
- Deadly Floods Reveal Gaps in Country's Disaster Management Capabilities, Official Says
- Private Investors Elbowed Out by High Borrowing Cost, Research Shows
- Property Markets in Top Tier Cities Continue to Sizzle in July
- Revival, Resistance for National Pension Push
- China Industrial Profit Growth Recovers to 6.2 Pct in H1
- Top Military Aide Guo Boxiong Sentenced to Life for Corruption
- Boom Time for Apps Offering Answers for All
- New Territory for Financial Oversight Reform
- Undervaluation Complaints Kill Baidu's Video Spin-Off
- Opera for All
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Electric-Vehicle Makers Hit By Battery Troubles After Foreign Players Fail to Make Govt. List
- China to Build Out 45,000 km High-Speed Rail Network
- Straw Man in the South China Sea
- Consumers Unlikely to Rescue China's Sputtering Economy
- Media Watch: Colonel Sanders Becomes Unexpected Victim of South China Sea Ruling
- Investors Seek Liaoning Debt Boycott As Bond Default Battle Heats Up
- Can Financial Unit Shuffling Stem SOE Red Ink?
- China Moves Closer to Lift QR Code Payments Ban
- Baidu Blames Third-Party Ad Agencies for Illicit Gambling Ads
- Anbang Defies Insurance Downturn With Surging Premiums