At Last, a Magic Moment for Political Reform
Calls for political reform are gathering steam. Premier Wen Jiabao spoke in detail on the topic during a CNN interview October 3. Two weeks later, the Asian edition of Time magazine put Wen on its cover and ran excerpts from the interview, stirring public opinions at home and abroad.
Wen said that nothing could stand in the way of the yearnings for democracy and freedom among Chinese people. He pledged to continue pushing for reform, despite controversy and resistance. "I will not fall in spite of the strong wind and harsh rain, and I will not yield until the last day of my life," said Wen.
- WeChat 'Glitch' Allows Family to Raise over 2 Million Yuan in 80 Minutes
- China's VAT Rebate Reform Aims to Boost Local Government Fiscal Strength
- Share Splits Raise Stock Market Suspicions
- China Faces Severe Coal Transport Capacity Shortage
- Audi Scraps Plans for New China Dealer Network
- Regions Found to Have 'Critical' Heavy Metal Emissions Now Clean Up Act
- Official PMI Spikes as Producer Prices Rise, Exports Surge
- China Adds 10% Consumption Tax for Superluxury Cars
- News Calendar, December 5-11
- Caixin's Manufacturing Indicator Dips to 50.9 in November
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter