Why Liu Ping's Candidacy Failed
Liu Ping wanted to be an everyman's candidate in a race for a local delegate to the National People's Congress. She wanted to represent her neighbors in the Yushu District of Xinyu, a city in Jiangxi Province. She gave it her all.
But the high-school educated woman who retired in 2009 from Yuanxingang Equipment and Materials Co., a branch of Xinyu Iron and Steel Group, found all roads blocked.
- Holiday Days
- The China Boom: Why China Will Not Rule the World
- One Point Two Billion
- Ailing Northeast Struggles to Keep Young Talent
- Much Has Changed Since Short Sellers Last Attacked HK Dollar
- Day of Play
- Software Firms Accuse Alibaba Health Subsidiary of Profiteering
- Inquiry into Guangdong Official 'Linked to Helping Sex Industry'
- Medical Fees Proposal Jolts China's Pensioners
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- China Now Learning It Has 'Environmental Migrants'
- Internet Company Treats 2,000 Employees to Cruise as Holiday Present
- Alibaba Gets Bitter Pill as Gov't Said to Scrap E-Drug System
- Government Edges toward Promised Tax Reform
- Tough Times Call for Tougher Reform Push
- Caixin OnlineAnother Official Tied to Zhou Yongkang Is Handed Jail Term
- Carmaker BYD Fares Well in Hometown, Struggles Elsewhere
- U.S. Venture Capital Firm Is Still Betting on China
- More Insiders Said to Be Linked to Agricultural Bank Scandal
- Terror in Mali and New Chinese Perspectives