Bank Lending Behavior and the RRR
If we compare the financial system to a machine, the central bank's monetary base can be seen as production input and the broader money supply as the output after processing. What are the returns on a 1 yuan input? It is determined by the structure of the machine, and most crucially, by the reserve requirement ratio.
Without accounting for cash leakages, the money multiplier is the reciprocal of the reserve requirement, for instance, if the RRR is 20 percent, the money multiplier is 5. There is no direct link between the money multiplier and the loan-deposit ratio, but as a part of the financial system, the loan-deposit ratio also has an impact on monetary expansion.
- Did a Chinese Insurer Cross the Investor Line?
- Caixin China PMI: Chilly April for Factories with Index Falling to 49.4
- Fast Track
- Fund Used to Bailout Stock Markets Lose 12 percent in Value
- Former Head of CDB Leasing Denies Taking Bribes from China Southern Airlines
- Coal Addiction Spells Trouble for Wind Power Producers
- Crash Site
- China Said to See 'Record Number' of Financial Scams Cases in 2015
- Country Facing 'Unprecedented Problem' Storing Extra Grain, Official Says
- Taxing Times for Booming Consumer Market
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Heilongjiang Says It Will Subsidize Homebuyers to Spur Demand
- Executive Who Worked at Tencent, Alibaba Denies Taking Bribes
- Global Perceptions Shape Relations with China
- Hong Kong Spring Auction Brushes Out Art Market Gloom
- Dumping Toxins in a Cloudy Legal Environment
- King Norodom's Head
- Remembering a Master of Kunqu Opera Four Centuries On
- A Student Revolutionary's memoir on the Year Mao Died