Bank Lending Behavior and the RRR
If we compare the financial system to a machine, the central bank's monetary base can be seen as production input and the broader money supply as the output after processing. What are the returns on a 1 yuan input? It is determined by the structure of the machine, and most crucially, by the reserve requirement ratio.
Without accounting for cash leakages, the money multiplier is the reciprocal of the reserve requirement, for instance, if the RRR is 20 percent, the money multiplier is 5. There is no direct link between the money multiplier and the loan-deposit ratio, but as a part of the financial system, the loan-deposit ratio also has an impact on monetary expansion.
- WeChat 'Glitch' Allows Family to Raise over 2 Million Yuan in 80 Minutes
- China's VAT Rebate Reform Aims to Boost Local Government Fiscal Strength
- Share Splits Raise Stock Market Suspicions
- China Faces Severe Coal Transport Capacity Shortage
- Audi Scraps Plans for New China Dealer Network
- Regions Found to Have 'Critical' Heavy Metal Emissions Now Clean Up Act
- Official PMI Spikes as Producer Prices Rise, Exports Surge
- China Adds 10% Consumption Tax for Superluxury Cars
- News Calendar, December 5-11
- Caixin's Manufacturing Indicator Dips to 50.9 in November
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter