Bank Lending Behavior and the RRR
If we compare the financial system to a machine, the central bank's monetary base can be seen as production input and the broader money supply as the output after processing. What are the returns on a 1 yuan input? It is determined by the structure of the machine, and most crucially, by the reserve requirement ratio.
Without accounting for cash leakages, the money multiplier is the reciprocal of the reserve requirement, for instance, if the RRR is 20 percent, the money multiplier is 5. There is no direct link between the money multiplier and the loan-deposit ratio, but as a part of the financial system, the loan-deposit ratio also has an impact on monetary expansion.
- 60-Second News for July 22: Typhoon Rammasun
- Market Reforms, Fight against Corruption Go Hand in Hand, Expert Says
- What Li Keqiang Asks in Meetings with Economists
- Increased Oil Imports 'Spur Rise in Shipping Costs, Plans to Build More Ships'
- Graft Fight Will Take Years, U.S. Expert Says, but China Is Heading in Right Direction
- Helicopter Crash
- Yunnan Mudslide
- The Week in Photos: July 12- 18
- Meat Supplier Puts McDonald's, KFC in Food Safety Spotlight Again
- Graphics: Dangerous Airspace
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- CCTV Financial News Anchor Rui Chenggang Is Detained
- Gov't Selects Six SOEs for New Round of Pilot Reforms
- Qingdao Port Warehouse Receipts Forged with Phony Seals, Says Source
- Getting a Healthy Interest in Medical Tourism
- Alibaba Has Big Hopes for New Big Data Processing Service
- Why Congress Should Pass the EB-5 Regional Center Extension Act
- The Lost Soldier of Myitkyina
- Graphics: What Does US$ 100 Mean to Expatriates Around the World?
- Beijing Monorail Plan Earns Ire Among Residents
- WH Group Hits out Against 'Defamatory' Accusations