Bank Lending Behavior and the RRR
If we compare the financial system to a machine, the central bank's monetary base can be seen as production input and the broader money supply as the output after processing. What are the returns on a 1 yuan input? It is determined by the structure of the machine, and most crucially, by the reserve requirement ratio.
Without accounting for cash leakages, the money multiplier is the reciprocal of the reserve requirement, for instance, if the RRR is 20 percent, the money multiplier is 5. There is no direct link between the money multiplier and the loan-deposit ratio, but as a part of the financial system, the loan-deposit ratio also has an impact on monetary expansion.
- Which Way for Smartphone Swipe and Pay?
- Do you have faith in the central government's plans for cutting air pollution?
- Media Executive Who Ignored Mobile Internet Takes His Leave
- Chinese Firms 'Want to Build Bullet Trains for California Project'
- Outspoken Real Estate Boss Says He Is Retiring
- Investors Kick Tires on Auction Websites for Second-Hand Cars
- Courageous Steps Needed to Develop Rule of Law
- Luxury Complex
- Beyond Bars
- Caixin Podcast: Apple's Cloud of Suspicion
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- The Yellow Pearls of China: Women with a PhD
- Graphics: Ghost Towns
- Researchers Cast Doubt on State Council Goals to Cut Air Pollution
- China Nears Deal with Mexico to Export Bullet Trains for First Time
- Eight Killed and 18 Injured in Riot in Kunming Suburb, Local Gov't Says
- Graphics: The Fourth Plenum
- Huge Vale Ship Arrived in Qingdao with 300,000 Tons of Iron Ore
- Revision of Securities Law Is Chance to Liberalize Market
- The Golden Lands: Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand & Vietnam
- Silver Screen Industry Strikes Investor Gold