Bank Lending Behavior and the RRR
If we compare the financial system to a machine, the central bank's monetary base can be seen as production input and the broader money supply as the output after processing. What are the returns on a 1 yuan input? It is determined by the structure of the machine, and most crucially, by the reserve requirement ratio.
Without accounting for cash leakages, the money multiplier is the reciprocal of the reserve requirement, for instance, if the RRR is 20 percent, the money multiplier is 5. There is no direct link between the money multiplier and the loan-deposit ratio, but as a part of the financial system, the loan-deposit ratio also has an impact on monetary expansion.
- More than 21,000 Couples in Capital Apply to Have Second Baby
- Central Gov't Said to Plan Pilot Reform of Rural Asset Ownership
- Big Umbrella
- Abe Protest
- Lost in Translation
- Graphics: Fully Loaded
- Can Doctors Cut the Public Hospital Cord?
- Local Gov't Criticized for Linking Blood Donations to Middle School Test
- The Week in Photos: September 20 – 26
- Goodbye Lenin
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Alibaba's IPO Was Huge, but Analysts Say Investors Have Reasons to Worry
- A Five-Minute History of Hong Kong
- After Overseas Rush, Chinese Firms' Iron Ore Projects Run into Trouble
- A Chinese Dream in America
- Adobe to Shutter China Operations in October, Employees Say
- Graphic: Alibaba's Big Deal
- HK Tycoons Defend Giant Gift to Harvard's Medical School
- Gov't Again Tries Trimming the Fat by Slashing Pay of SOE Executives
- CCTV Airs Program on Conditions for Fallen Officials in Guangdong Prison
- How Chinese Universities Can Learn the Largesse Game