Mass Medal Preparedness
China's Olympic training system demands its athletes give their all – and not expect much in return.
It's a structured, planned and government-funded system specifically designed to churn out winners.
While other countries around the world build Olympic teams with professional training systems that raise funds through sports federations and sponsors, China continues to maintain a centralized system – modeled off of the Soviet-era sports bureaucracy – that prepares young bodies for the Olympics often from an early age.
- Caixin Summit
- Caixin Summit: Locke Emphasizes Rule of Law in Speech
- Caixin Summit: Regulation of P2P Lending 'Needs to Improve'
- Caixin Summit: Having SOEs Turn over More of Their Profits
- Gov't, Scientists Struggle to Root Out Opposition to GM Foods
- How the Judicial System Can Make Its Case
- Let 2014 Be the Year of Reform
- A New Approach to Education
- Room to Improve
- In Tuesday's Papers:New Virtual Currency Grows Popular even as Bitcoins Targeted, Huijin Raises Stake in Big Four Banks
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Poseidon: China's Secret Salvage of Britain's Lost Submarine
- How Li Qiang Cheers Zhejiang’s Private Spirit
- Experts Wonder if Changes to Family-Planning Rules Are Too Little, Too Late
- Project to Save South China Tigers in South Africa Lost in Wilderness
- Why the PBOC Took the Regulatory Lead on Bitcoins
- Central Bank, CBRC Split on Including Rural Lenders in Deposit Plan
- Industry Waits to See Whether China Mobile and Apple Will Finally Make a Deal
- Closer Look: Xiaomi Bets the Next Big Internet Thing Is Your Wi-Fi Router
- China Mobile Said to Choose Partners for Telecom Resales
- Closer Look: Jingdong Gives Alibaba Some Company in Financial Industry