Inside the Walls of a Detention Center
As a professional criminal defense lawyer, I have been to detention centers everywhere. They are of course all different, but at a recent visit with an inmate, we were separated by pane of frosted glass.
Because I had come all the way from Beijing, the pre-trial official of the Public Security Bureau at Foshan City, Guangdong Province was very straightforward and agreed to "accompany" me to the meeting the following day.
- 'Important Information' vs. Information that Is Important
- Lenovo Completes US$ 2.91 Bln Deal to Buy Motorola Mobility
- Large Railroad Manufacturers Said to Consider Merger
- Village Remake
- APEC Preview
- Skies Overhead
- Two or Three Things about Mr. Lu Xun
- Film: The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom
- Exhibition: The Past
- Wake up, Europe
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Rise and Fall of a Coal Boomtown in Shanxi Province
- Chinese Comfort Women: Testimonies from Imperial Japan's Sex Slaves
- Researchers Cast Doubt on State Council Goals to Cut Air Pollution
- Which Way for Smartphone Swipe and Pay?
- What is Authoritarianism?
- Zuckerberg Impresses Tsinghua Students with His Chinese, Even Talks Tech
- For China's Property Market, All Is Not Lost
- Alibaba Shopping Site Red-Faced after Number of Phone Orders Faked
- Cai Jinyong: A Chinese Voice at the Top of IFC
- Ministry Said to Propose Local Gov'ts Issuing Bonds to Cover Debts