Learning to Cope with Lean Times
The growth in local government revenues is undeniably slowing in China. Even in the wealthier regions like Beijing, Shanghai, Zhejiang and Guangdong, revenue growth rates have slid to less than 10 percent year on year from 20 to 30 percent.
In the first seven months of this year, total revenues grew by only 13.8 percent, slower than forecast. Worse, land sales – the main source of income for local governments – have dropped sharply. In the first half of this year, the land transfer fees collected in 300 cities fell 38 per cent from a year ago.
- Hidden Anguish
- In Friday's Papers: IBM Workers Strike over Lenovo Deal; Ordos Will Stop Building Homes, Mayor Says
- A French Revolution, Please!
- Lianghui Quotes：March 7
- Egypt's Road to Rejuvenation Is Opening, Veteran Diplomat Says
- Scaffold Collapse
- The Siege of Tsingtao
- The Celestials
- Jilted U.S. Investors and Debtors on the Run
- Lianghui Quotes: March 6
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter