Closer Look: Why War Is Not an Option
There won't be a war in East Asia.
The United States has five military alliances in the western Pacific: with South Korea, Japan, Thailand, the Philippines and Singapore, and American battleships are busy patrolling the seas. Without a go-ahead from Washington, there is no possibility of a hot war between battleships of sovereign countries here. As to conflicts between fishing boats and patrol boats, that's not really a big deal.
- Caught in Rising China's Centrifuge
- Gov't Orders End to Sending Blood Samples Abroad for Fetus Sex Checks
- Capital Said to Plan Residence Permit System to Address Benefits Inequality
- Reserved Parking
- The New Capital of Bio-Tech and Life Sciences
- Young at Art
- Bumper Harvest
- Embattled Founder Securities 'Cannot Reach Its Chairman'
- Fantasy Islands: Chinese Dreams and Ecological Fears in an Age of Climate Crisis
- Shanghai Future: Modernity Remade
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- HR Boss of Major Telecoms Supplier 'Missing after Making Graft Allegations'
- Samsung Loses Connection with Chinese Consumers in 2014
- Scandal-Hit GlaxoSmithKline 'to Lay Off 1,000 Employees in China'
- Mao's Winding Road to Socialism
- Year after Launch of Shanghai FTZ, Three New Zones Set to Open
- PBOC Hits Back at Criticism of Currency Swap Deal with Russia
- China Boots Up an Internet Banking Industry
- Provincial, Regional Gov'ts Prepare for a More Frugal Future
- Gov't to Give Employees 60 Pct Pay Hike as Part of Pension Reform
- Banks Trying Direct Route to Online Future