What Does 'Middle Class' Mean Anyway?
We often hear about the rise of the middle class in Asia, and in particular in the fast-developing countries such as China and India. However, what exactly is the "middle class?"
The term is widely cited around the world, applied without hesitation by all sorts of people. Nevertheless, it means different things to different people in different places.
- Central Bank Cuts Benchmark Lending Rate
- A Passage to India
- Hike in Train Ticket Prices This Year 'Unlikely After All'
- Graphics: Sino-Australian Trade Deal
- Another Hebei Official Is Targeted by Corruption Investigators
- Closer Look: Gov't Wants Proactive Tax Policies, but Ends Up with a Problem
- China-U.S. Investment Treaty Would Strengthen Economic Relations
- Top Prosecutor's Office Plans New Body to Better Fight Corruption
- Exercise Caution
- Book: Living Karma: The Religious Practices of Ouyi Zhixu
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- The Low Official Found with Towering Pile of Cash, Gold and Properties
- At Factory Waste Ponds, Fumes Choke Fantasies
- Some Shanghai FTZ Reform Ideas Introduced to Rest of Country
- Closer Look: Why Shanghai-Hong Kong Stock Connect Was One-Way Road
- Graft Busters Find another Cash Pile, but Family Denies Corruption
- Gov't Gives Academics Failing Grade for Fraud in Research Funding
- Canceled Mexican Rail Contract Gives Chinese Firms Chance to Reflect
- Justin Lin Ignores Population Factor with Growth Predictions
- Sixth NEA Official This Year Is Investigated for Corruption
- Civilized Liberties: What Matters in Preparing Gifts?