What Does 'Middle Class' Mean Anyway?
We often hear about the rise of the middle class in Asia, and in particular in the fast-developing countries such as China and India. However, what exactly is the "middle class?"
The term is widely cited around the world, applied without hesitation by all sorts of people. Nevertheless, it means different things to different people in different places.
- A Byronic Hero for China's Supremo
- Opium and Empire
- The Bear Whispers to Me
- Chinese Student Fashion Statements
- MasterCard Plots Course on Changes to China's Payment Infrastructure
- Germany's Daimler Fined for Price-Fixing Cars
- Stuck in the Mud
- Kevin Rudd: Realism, Purpose for Sino-U.S. Ties
- Graft Probe Uncovers Dark Screen at Anhui TV
- Venturing into Online Education
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- China's Big Reserves of Grain Come with Equally Big Problems
- Why Chinese Hospitals Are Boycotting Baidu
- China to Open Bank Card Clearing to Foreign Competition
- Mayo Clinic-Invested Company to Open General Hospital in Beijing
- Saudi Aramco Still Ambitious in Slowing China
- China's Anti-Corruption Drive: Don't Stop Now
- Saudi Aramco's Al-Falih on China Collaboration
- CDB and EXIM Bank to Receive Capital Injections from Forex Reserves
- The Looming Bankruptcy of Greece
- Free-Trade Pilot Program Expanded to Tianjin, Fujian and Guangdong