What Does 'Middle Class' Mean Anyway?
We often hear about the rise of the middle class in Asia, and in particular in the fast-developing countries such as China and India. However, what exactly is the "middle class?"
The term is widely cited around the world, applied without hesitation by all sorts of people. Nevertheless, it means different things to different people in different places.
- In Plans for Rural Exodus, Policymakers Must Factor in Inequality
- Caixin Summit
- Going Underground
- Experts at Caixin Summit Discuss Challenges Confronting Economic Growth
- Gov't Fleshes Out Reform to Gaokao System
- Coastal Sprawl and a Last Stand for Wetlands
- Cold Front
- Qigong Debt Protest
- Education Ministry Cuts Scope of Gaokao Bonus-Points Program
- Two Former Officials in NDRC's Bond Bureau Said to Be Investigated
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- China, Russia Near Deal for Wide-Body Aircraft
- China Mobile's Dead End on the 3G Highway
- Tencent Aims to Cash In on Its Hit Messaging App
- Adjusting to the End of GDP Supremacy
- The Parenting Trap of Cultural Patterns
- Tesla's China VP Steps Down After 9-Month Stint
- Welcome to the New Normal in China
- Executed Teen Found Innocent 18 Years Later
- CRCC to Join Bid for Singapore-Kuala Lumpur Link
- Ex-NDRC Deputy Head Given Life for Graft