What Does 'Middle Class' Mean Anyway?
We often hear about the rise of the middle class in Asia, and in particular in the fast-developing countries such as China and India. However, what exactly is the "middle class?"
The term is widely cited around the world, applied without hesitation by all sorts of people. Nevertheless, it means different things to different people in different places.
- Courage to Liberty
- 60-Second News for July 25: Unemployment Statistics
- SAIC, Alibaba Agree to Cooperate on Internet-Enabled Cars
- Mountains Moved
- Taiwan Crash
- Princely Barge
- Sheila Patel: Investors Should Be 'Positive' about China Stocks
- Focus of Graft Fight Must Move from Party to Nation, Professor Argues
- Silencing the Spokesman for the Establishment
- Book: Running Through Beijing
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- How the Hammer Falls as China Nails Corruption
- CNPC Continues to Be Hit by Scandal as Two More Executives Fall
- Market Reforms, Fight against Corruption Go Hand in Hand, Expert Says
- Getting a Healthy Interest in Medical Tourism
- What Li Keqiang Asks in Meetings with Economists
- Qingdao Port Warehouse Receipts Forged with Phony Seals, Says Source
- Alibaba Said to Delay New York Listing until after Labor Day
- Graft Fight Will Take Years, U.S. Expert Says, but China Is Heading in Right Direction
- The Lost Soldier of Myitkyina
- Beijing Monorail Plan Earns Ire Among Residents