What Does 'Middle Class' Mean Anyway?
We often hear about the rise of the middle class in Asia, and in particular in the fast-developing countries such as China and India. However, what exactly is the "middle class?"
The term is widely cited around the world, applied without hesitation by all sorts of people. Nevertheless, it means different things to different people in different places.
- Privilege Gap
- In Wednesday's Papers: Shenzhen Police Raid Offices of Video Streaming Firm, Gov'ts Made 4.2 Tln Yuan on Land Sales in 2013
- Does U.S. electric car maker Tesla Motors have a bright future in China?
- Budget Law Revision Proposes Letting Local Gov'ts Issue Bonds
- Recharging Network Is Priority over Production in China, Tesla CEO says
- Fight against Corruption Complements Reform Drive
- Detective Work by Group in 'Black Jail' Claim Leads to Trial
- In Tuesday's Papers: Central Bank Cuts Deposit Reserve Ratio for Rural Lenders, Everbright Group's Executive Becomes CIC Vice President
- Closer Look: How Chinese Consumers Helped Gold Prices to Slump
- Properly Secured
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- The Long Goodbye
- Officials in Shanxi Scramble to Sort out Steelmaker's Debt Mess
- Shiller: What We Can Learn from Past Crises
- How Telecom Graft in China Tripped Up Telstra
- Jack Ma's 6.5 Bln Yuan Bachelor Party
- Stephen Roach: China, U.S. Headed in Opposite Directions
- The Search for the Chinese Workers Who Helped Build America
- Graft Inquiry at CNPC Uncovers Shady Deal Involving Productive Oil Block
- CNPC Pushes ahead with Controversial Sichuan Refinery Project
- P2P Lenders Heading into Dangerous Waters, Critics Say