What Does 'Middle Class' Mean Anyway?
We often hear about the rise of the middle class in Asia, and in particular in the fast-developing countries such as China and India. However, what exactly is the "middle class?"
The term is widely cited around the world, applied without hesitation by all sorts of people. Nevertheless, it means different things to different people in different places.
- Debate over Monetary Rule Should Trump Labor Market Conundrum
- Retired NDRC Pricing Official 'Detained at Beijing Airport'
- Ice Bucket Challenge Could Give Jolt to Charities in China
- 37 Groups Said to Start Making Offers for Piece of Sinopec Sales Subsidiary
- Have anti-corruption efforts become a permanent feature of the political landscape in China?
- Developer Demonstration
- Deadly Bus Crash
- Haier's New Look: 'Micro-Enterprise' Platform
- Baidu Disconnects from Its Plan to Join Gov't Telecoms Pilot
- Caixin Podcast: Baidu Backs Out of Telecom Pilot
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Closer Look: JD.com Sees Its High Hopes for WeChat Fall Short
- Views: Making Sense of China's Anti-Monopoly Campaign
- Four Shanghai Customs Officials Nabbed by Party Graft Buster
- Zhou Family Legacy: Thick Blood, Fat Profits
- Zhou Yongkang's Early Years
- Zhou Yongkang Used Start in Oil Industry to Rise to Public Security Czar
- Closer Look: Anti-Corruption Czar Makes Noteworthy Appearance at CPPCC Meeting
- Chinese Tycoons, Stars Take up Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS
- Deng Xiaoping Gave Double Boost to Reform Efforts, Economist Says
- Detention of Haitong Securities Executive 'Is Linked to Bond Scandal'