What Does 'Middle Class' Mean Anyway?
We often hear about the rise of the middle class in Asia, and in particular in the fast-developing countries such as China and India. However, what exactly is the "middle class?"
The term is widely cited around the world, applied without hesitation by all sorts of people. Nevertheless, it means different things to different people in different places.
- Xiaomi to Roll Out Its Own Payment Service
- Northern China's groundwater gets poor marks
- G20 Showcases China's New Global Role
- Microsoft dumps MSN China
- NGO questions Xinxiang's claim it bought all cadmium-laced wheat
- Bank of Tianjin loses 2 top executives
- Sany first-half profit tumbles 48.6 in first half
- China considers allowing plea bargaining
- Governments, businesses consider cross-country gas pipeline
- 15 coal mines to close in Shanxi this year
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Despite Gains in HDI, China Needs More Reform for Inclusive Growth, UN Says
- Souring Business, Xenophobia Makes China Dream Lose Its Appeal for African Migrants
- Beijing Floats Extension of Debt-to-Equity Plan to Wider Range of Creditors
- Reform's Response to the Money Supply Warning
- Mainland chips away at Taiwan's dominance in semiconductor business
- Welcome Mat Fades for Taiwan Businesses
- Why Official Claim on Services Driving China's Economy is Misleading
- Kobe Bryant Invests in China Education Firm
- Beijing Migrants in Limbo Despite New Hukou Reform
- China's Rail Project in Indonesia Gets Construction Permit