What Does 'Middle Class' Mean Anyway?
We often hear about the rise of the middle class in Asia, and in particular in the fast-developing countries such as China and India. However, what exactly is the "middle class?"
The term is widely cited around the world, applied without hesitation by all sorts of people. Nevertheless, it means different things to different people in different places.
- Views: Trading Places
- Financial Reporter, CSRC Official Detained, State Media Says
- The Week in Photos: August 22 – 28
- Hanergy Announces Plan to Lay Off 2,000 Employees as Revenue Falls
- Apologies that Promise to Hurt
- Liu Cixin on Fantastic Fiction
- In the Country: Stories
- Set in Stone
- Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War
- Law Change Would Mean No Early Release for Graft Convicts
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- The Party Has Its Tea, but Deserves No Sympathy
- Counting the Cost of Gov't Intervention in Stock Market
- Sri Lanka Looks in the Mirror and Sees Singapore
- Eight Employees of Brokerage Firm Reportedly Detained
- Quantum Computing and Alibaba's Leap of Faith
- CSRC Said to Greet Latest Stock Market Crash with Calm
- Tianjin Blast Probe Too Late for Firefighters
- Chile Tries to Interest China in More Cherries, Less Copper
- Cabinet Lets Pension Funds Be Invested in Domestic Stock Market
- After Spell as Rivals, E-Commerce Giants, Traditional Stores Join Forces