What Does 'Middle Class' Mean Anyway?
We often hear about the rise of the middle class in Asia, and in particular in the fast-developing countries such as China and India. However, what exactly is the "middle class?"
The term is widely cited around the world, applied without hesitation by all sorts of people. Nevertheless, it means different things to different people in different places.
- South China Sea Issue Is Litmus Test for Sino-U.S. Relationship
- China Gives Chile's Institutional Investors 50 Bln Yuan Quota
- Minibus Plunge
- Party's 'United Front' Meeting Said to Be Aimed at Earning Reform Support
- Banks Face Obstacles to Using Biometric Data for ID Purposes
- The Week in Photos: May 16-22
- Graphics: Migrant March Slows
- Will the capital's ban on smoking indoors that comes into effect on June 1 be effective?
- Views: Worth the Ride?
- The American Debate over Legal Accountability of Chinese Companies
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Phone Maker Transsion Catches the African Beat
- Solar Panel Maker Suffering HK Share Sell-Off 'Failed to Repay Loans'
- The Big VIE Question
- Rain on CCTV's Moscow Parade Coverage
- China Unleashes Bonds to Tackle Local Debt
- Gov't Announces Plan to Upgrade Factories over Next Decade
- Tencent Expands Net Bank Experiment to 50,000 Social Media Users
- Public Hospitals to Be Opened to Investors, State Council Says
- Shanghai Transport Officials Move to Regulate Popular Taxi App
- Time for Reform Advocates to Step to the Fore