What Does 'Middle Class' Mean Anyway?
We often hear about the rise of the middle class in Asia, and in particular in the fast-developing countries such as China and India. However, what exactly is the "middle class?"
The term is widely cited around the world, applied without hesitation by all sorts of people. Nevertheless, it means different things to different people in different places.
- Lianghui Quotes: March 12
- In Wednesday's Papers: 19 Domestic Insurers Affected by Missing Flight, First Audit of Gov't Land Sales Due Early Next Year
- Caixin Explains: What Are E-Credit Cards and How Do They Work?
- Private Banks in Pilot Will Have Four Models to Choose From
- MH370 Co-Pilot
- The Best Way for China to Address Terrorism
- Keep Expectations for NDRC Reform Limited
- Lianghui Quotes: March 11
- In Tuesday's Papers: Interest Rates Freed within Two Years, PBOC Head Says; Legislators Mull Creating Anti-Terror Law
- Closer Look: JD.com, Tencent Both Have to Like their Big Deal
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Eyes on the Prize
- Li Ka-shing's Remedy for 'Coddled' HK
- Zhou Family Was Influential in Jiangsu City before Corruption Inquiry
- Jilted U.S. Investors and Debtors on the Run
- Caixin Explains: The 'Lianghui' Meetings
- U.S. Economy, Regulatory Approach Reaching Higher Ground, Policy Veteran Volcker Says
- China to Grow at 7.5 Pct and Focus on Reforms, Premier Says
- Caixin Explains: How MH370 Should Have Been Able to Send Emergency Message
- Li Ka-shing: Continued Progress Depends on Embracing Technology
- Graphics: Rich Representatives