Obama's Biggest Failure
As we enter the last two week s of the presidential race, the country looks to be facing its third close finish this century. While President Barack Obama is still the favorite to be re-elected, Mitt Romney has a very real chance of winning. The weak economy is undoubtedly the major reason.
Incumbent presidents usually get re-elected. The three exceptions in the last 80 years were Lyndon Johnson, Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush. The first was pushed out of office because of hostility to the Vietnam War. At the time, we had 500,000 soldiers involved in the war. Given the relative size of the country, this was more than ten times the scale of the war in Afghanistan today.
- Gov't Switches Subsidy Focus from Small Farmers to Major Growers
- Rescue in the Works for Indebted Sinosteel
- South China Sea Issue Is Litmus Test for Sino-U.S. Relationship
- China Gives Chile's Institutional Investors 50 Bln Yuan Quota
- Minibus Plunge
- Party's 'United Front' Meeting Said to Be Aimed at Earning Reform Support
- Banks Face Obstacles to Using Biometric Data for ID Purposes
- The Week in Photos: May 16-22
- Graphics: Migrant March Slows
- Will the capital's ban on smoking indoors that comes into effect on June 1 be effective?
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Phone Maker Transsion Catches the African Beat
- Solar Panel Maker Suffering HK Share Sell-Off 'Failed to Repay Loans'
- The Big VIE Question
- Rain on CCTV's Moscow Parade Coverage
- China Unleashes Bonds to Tackle Local Debt
- Gov't Announces Plan to Upgrade Factories over Next Decade
- Tencent Expands Net Bank Experiment to 50,000 Social Media Users
- Public Hospitals to Be Opened to Investors, State Council Says
- Shanghai Transport Officials Move to Regulate Popular Taxi App
- Time for Reform Advocates to Step to the Fore