A Reckoning on the Diaoyus
If the mythic literary figure Faust had a counterpart in modern China, that would no doubt have been Wang Ching-wei (1883-1944). His fall from revolutionary hero to the Chinese linguistic equivalent of "Vidkun Quisling" required 30 years, while the devil needed a mere 24, before it managed to carry Faust off to hell.
But if Faust had traded his soul with the devil for worldly pleasures, at least Wang Ching-wei thought he had succeeded in bargaining for a clearly defined timeframe, in the withdrawal of Japanese troops from China proper, under his secret negotiations with the lieutenant general and spy-chief, Kagesa Sadaaki (1893-1948). It was this which prompted Wang to flee the Nationalist wartime-capital Chungking, before reappearing in Japanese-occupied Nanking, under the guise of "Chief Executive" of a provisional Chinese government.
- In Thursday's Papers: Chinalco's Copper Mine in Peru Opens, Tariffs for Hundreds of Imports to Be Cut
- Fishmonger Fracas
- Pay to Play
- Project to Save South China Tigers in South Africa Lost in Wilderness
- Two More Journalists Held over Bribe-Taking
- Gov't Considers Ending Heavily Criticized Cotton Subsidies
- Closer Look: Jingdong Gives Alibaba Some Company in Financial Industry
- In Wednesday's Papers: Railroad Line Lacking Environmental Approval to Still Open, HSBC to Sell Stake in Bank of Shanghai
- Central Bank, CBRC Split on Including Rural Lenders in Deposit Plan
- Closer Look: Annual Work Conference Picks Up Where Plenum Left Off
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Yi Gang: China's Forward-Thinking Forex Chief
- As U.S. Refuses a Dirty Fuel, China Only Too Ready to Increase Imports
- Coal Industry Finds Itself at a Crossroads
- Evergrande Partners with Harvard to Build Hospital in China
- Sina Corp., Investment Fund Management Firms Mull Net Sales
- Ruins of Urbanization
- In Friday's Papers: China, U.S. to Enhance Cooperation on Shale Gas; Wang Qishan 'May Only Serve Five Years'
- PBOC Said to Be Talking to Major Banks about Deposit Insurance
- Closer Look: Visit by Cameron Focuses on Trade and Investment
- Yi Gang: China's Man for Market Logic