Defense Lawyer Seeks to Clear His Name – and Accuser's
(Beijing) – Amid a wave of appeals seeking to overturn verdicts handed out during an anti-mafia campaign in Chongqing is one curious case: a defense lawyer is seeking to not only clear his name, but that of a former client whose testimony sent him to jail.
On November 2, Beijing lawyer Li Zhuang confirmed on Sina Weibo, China's version of Twitter, that he would represent Gong Gangmo in his appeal. Gong's testimony that Li coached him into making false claims led to the lawyer being jailed for 18 months.
- Market Cave-In
- China's Passport Selfies Service Hits a Snag
- China Unveils System to Insure Depositors If a Bank Fails
- Opportunity Knocks at New Infrastructure Bank
- Capital's Schools to Close When Air Pollution Gets Too Bad
- Slowly, China Prepares to Raise Retirement Age
- Caixin Suing Guo Wengui and Hong Kong Media
- The Euro Currency Pain Will Remain for Chinese Exporters
- Making an Exit
- New Property Policies Give Boost to Main Stock Indexes
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Kissinger: China, U.S. Must 'Lead in Cooperation'
- Yuan and Gold: Old Enemies Should Finally Become Friends
- Tycoon Said to Bring Down a Deputy Mayor, Control Key Beijing Land Deal
- Reinventing the Bicycle in Beijing
- Caixin Pledges to Defend Hu Shuli's Reputation
- Saudi Aramco's Supply to China Potentially Doubling
- Confucius and the World He Created
- Who Is Prince Qing?
- Ex-Police Chief Held for Murder Said to Be Linked to Graft Case
- Military-Linked Hospital Allows Fake Doctor to Practice