Defense Lawyer Seeks to Clear His Name – and Accuser's
(Beijing) – Amid a wave of appeals seeking to overturn verdicts handed out during an anti-mafia campaign in Chongqing is one curious case: a defense lawyer is seeking to not only clear his name, but that of a former client whose testimony sent him to jail.
On November 2, Beijing lawyer Li Zhuang confirmed on Sina Weibo, China's version of Twitter, that he would represent Gong Gangmo in his appeal. Gong's testimony that Li coached him into making false claims led to the lawyer being jailed for 18 months.
- WeChat 'Glitch' Allows Family to Raise over 2 Million Yuan in 80 Minutes
- China's VAT Rebate Reform Aims to Boost Local Government Fiscal Strength
- Share Splits Raise Stock Market Suspicions
- China Faces Severe Coal Transport Capacity Shortage
- Audi Scraps Plans for New China Dealer Network
- Regions Found to Have 'Critical' Heavy Metal Emissions Now Clean Up Act
- Official PMI Spikes as Producer Prices Rise, Exports Surge
- China Adds 10% Consumption Tax for Superluxury Cars
- News Calendar, December 5-11
- Caixin's Manufacturing Indicator Dips to 50.9 in November
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter