Defense Lawyer Seeks to Clear His Name – and Accuser's
(Beijing) – Amid a wave of appeals seeking to overturn verdicts handed out during an anti-mafia campaign in Chongqing is one curious case: a defense lawyer is seeking to not only clear his name, but that of a former client whose testimony sent him to jail.
On November 2, Beijing lawyer Li Zhuang confirmed on Sina Weibo, China's version of Twitter, that he would represent Gong Gangmo in his appeal. Gong's testimony that Li coached him into making false claims led to the lawyer being jailed for 18 months.
- CDIC Investigates Chinalco Head after Reports He Abused His Power
- New-Energy Car Market Is Open Road, BYD CEO Wang Chuanfu Says
- PBOC Punishes Payment Companies for Mishandling Bank Card Transactions
- Cabinet Said to Mull Reforms to Country's Nearly 1,800 State-Owned Farms
- The Long Journey to the Rule of Law
- Silent Scourge
- APEC Barriers
- Official in Shanxi City 'Falls to His Death after Facing Investigators'
- Sinopec Picks 25 Investors to Hold Stake in Sales Unit
- The Week in Photos: September 5 – 12
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Spectre of Corruption Haunts Huawei
- Will Education Firm New Oriental Learn or Lose?
- UnionPay, Apple Said to Agree on U.S. Firm's New Payment Technology
- Coming to Grips with Ammonia in China's Haze
- Gov't Again Cracks Down on Schools for Migrant Workers' Children
- Closer Look: Alibaba's Looming IPO Sends Shockwaves through Bourses at Home, Abroad
- Gov't Cobbles Together Funding for Slum Renovation Projects
- Media Outlet Blackmailed over 100 Companies, Xinhua Reports
- Shenzhen's Qianhai Zone Joins Overseas E-Commerce Pilot
- Cutting Pay of SOE Bosses Just the Beginning of Necessary Changes