Defense Lawyer Seeks to Clear His Name – and Accuser's
(Beijing) – Amid a wave of appeals seeking to overturn verdicts handed out during an anti-mafia campaign in Chongqing is one curious case: a defense lawyer is seeking to not only clear his name, but that of a former client whose testimony sent him to jail.
On November 2, Beijing lawyer Li Zhuang confirmed on Sina Weibo, China's version of Twitter, that he would represent Gong Gangmo in his appeal. Gong's testimony that Li coached him into making false claims led to the lawyer being jailed for 18 months.
- Business Trip
- College President Fired for Breaking Rules on Cars, Spending
- CRC to Start Selling Ads on Tickets as Part of Test Run
- Country's Rural Areas Face Shortage of Preschools, Ministry Says
- Mali Tragedy Shows Chinese Companies' Need for Support Systems
- Wrecking Ball
- Soccer Team, Major Sponsor Get Shirty over Jersey Change
- Advocate for Transplant Reform Not Done Yet
- Scandal at Aviation Regulator Widens as Another Official Investigated
- China Must Show Resolve in Combating Terrorism
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- How a New Idea for Revamping the Economy Is Taking Shape
- Wang Jianlin on Why the Wanda Phenomenon Works
- Official Figures for Major Smog Pollutant Last Year 'Off by Half'
- China Eyes More Muscle for Market Supervision
- The Real Drivers of China's New Culture Movement
- Chinese Gov't 'Causes an Investment Gap with U.S.'
- Gov't Announces Plan to Clean Up Rural Areas by 2020
- Scandal-Hit Citic Securities Says Its Party Head Will Retire
- Plan to Develop Two New Beijing Districts 'Flies in Face of Population Curbs'
- Closer Look: Baidu Joins Other Internet Giants to Open a Bank