Liu Yandong is State Councilor and one of the two women on the Politburo. Born in Nantong, Jiangsu Province, Liu has a degree in chemical engineering from Tsinghua University, and also holds a master's in political science and a law doctorate.
From 1970 to 1980, she worked at chemical plants in Hebei Province and Beijing, rising to senior positions in factories. From 1980 to 1982, she worked for the Organization Department in Beijing's Chaoyang District, then served as the secretary for the Communist Youth League. She joined the All-China Youth Foundation, ultimately becoming its president. In 1991, she joined the United Front, later becoming the chairwoman.
- More than 21,000 Couples in Capital Apply to Have Second Baby
- Central Gov't Said to Plan Pilot Reform of Rural Asset Ownership
- Big Umbrella
- Abe Protest
- Lost in Translation
- Graphics: Fully Loaded
- Can Doctors Cut the Public Hospital Cord?
- Local Gov't Criticized for Linking Blood Donations to Middle School Test
- The Week in Photos: September 20 – 26
- Goodbye Lenin
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Alibaba's IPO Was Huge, but Analysts Say Investors Have Reasons to Worry
- A Five-Minute History of Hong Kong
- After Overseas Rush, Chinese Firms' Iron Ore Projects Run into Trouble
- A Chinese Dream in America
- Adobe to Shutter China Operations in October, Employees Say
- Graphic: Alibaba's Big Deal
- HK Tycoons Defend Giant Gift to Harvard's Medical School
- Gov't Again Tries Trimming the Fat by Slashing Pay of SOE Executives
- CCTV Airs Program on Conditions for Fallen Officials in Guangdong Prison
- How Chinese Universities Can Learn the Largesse Game