Liu Yandong is State Councilor and one of the two women on the Politburo. Born in Nantong, Jiangsu Province, Liu has a degree in chemical engineering from Tsinghua University, and also holds a master's in political science and a law doctorate.
From 1970 to 1980, she worked at chemical plants in Hebei Province and Beijing, rising to senior positions in factories. From 1980 to 1982, she worked for the Organization Department in Beijing's Chaoyang District, then served as the secretary for the Communist Youth League. She joined the All-China Youth Foundation, ultimately becoming its president. In 1991, she joined the United Front, later becoming the chairwoman.
- Media Watch: Former Star Reporter Causes Stir with Smog Documentary
- Ant Financial Subsidiary Starts Offering Individual Credit Scores
- Attempt to Gain New Investor Failed, New China Life Insurance Says
- Graphics: Coming and Going
- The Week in Photos: February 21-27
- Oil Giants Dispute Reports that Gov't Is Considering Mergers
- Going Out
- The Soft Edge of Cut Paper
- The Sino-Russian Challenge to the World Order
- Kalidasa for the 21st Century Reader: Selected Poetry and Drama
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Minsheng Tries Weathering a Maelstrom
- Three Private Shipping Companies Run into Financial Troubles
- Can Market Mechanisms Clear China's Bad Air?
- Closer Look: Local Officials Have Little Love for National Hukou Reform
- State Patronage Divides Confucian Intellectuals
- Tourism Tensions Have HK Mulling Limits on Visitor Numbers
- Experts Split on Whether Merger of Taxi App Firms Breaks Law
- Is It Time to Include the Yuan in IMF Basket?
- Gov't Orders Documentary about Gays, Lesbians Removed from Net
- Gov't Moves on GM Crops Spur Industry's Cautious Optimism