Liu Yandong is State Councilor and one of the two women on the Politburo. Born in Nantong, Jiangsu Province, Liu has a degree in chemical engineering from Tsinghua University, and also holds a master's in political science and a law doctorate.
From 1970 to 1980, she worked at chemical plants in Hebei Province and Beijing, rising to senior positions in factories. From 1980 to 1982, she worked for the Organization Department in Beijing's Chaoyang District, then served as the secretary for the Communist Youth League. She joined the All-China Youth Foundation, ultimately becoming its president. In 1991, she joined the United Front, later becoming the chairwoman.
- Zuckerberg Impresses Tsinghua Students with His Chinese, Even Talks Tech
- Rise and Fall of a Coal Boomtown in Shanxi Province
- Despite Ban, County Holds Convict Parade Days before Rule of Law Plenum
- Paris Expatriate
- Loft Horizon
- Fourth Plenum
- Which Way for Smartphone Swipe and Pay?
- Do you have faith in the central government's plans for cutting air pollution?
- Media Executive Who Ignored Mobile Internet Takes His Leave
- Chinese Firms 'Want to Build Bullet Trains for California Project'
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- The Yellow Pearls of China: Women with a PhD
- Graphics: Ghost Towns
- China Nears Deal with Mexico to Export Bullet Trains for First Time
- Researchers Cast Doubt on State Council Goals to Cut Air Pollution
- Eight Killed and 18 Injured in Riot in Kunming Suburb, Local Gov't Says
- Graphics: The Fourth Plenum
- Huge Vale Ship Arrived in Qingdao with 300,000 Tons of Iron Ore
- The Golden Lands: Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand & Vietnam
- Revision of Securities Law Is Chance to Liberalize Market
- Alibaba Shopping Site Red-Faced after Number of Phone Orders Faked