Liu Yandong is State Councilor and one of the two women on the Politburo. Born in Nantong, Jiangsu Province, Liu has a degree in chemical engineering from Tsinghua University, and also holds a master's in political science and a law doctorate.
From 1970 to 1980, she worked at chemical plants in Hebei Province and Beijing, rising to senior positions in factories. From 1980 to 1982, she worked for the Organization Department in Beijing's Chaoyang District, then served as the secretary for the Communist Youth League. She joined the All-China Youth Foundation, ultimately becoming its president. In 1991, she joined the United Front, later becoming the chairwoman.
- Investment Dip Rains on China's Upbeat Economy
- Schoolgirl Dies of Heart Attack after Falling Pray to A Phone Scam that Syphoned Her Tuition Money
- Spring Air Fuels Expansion with 10 New Airbus Jets
- P2P Firms in China Get Wings Clipped by New Rules
- PBOC Official Xuan Changneng to Join CSRC to Assist the Chairman
- Closer Look: Qihoo Retires from Public View after Record Privatization
- Beijing Overhauls Electric Vehicle Incentives to Weed Out Cheaters
- PetroChina, CNOOC Profits Slump as Prices and Domestic Demand Drop
- Renewables Generate a Quarter of China's Energy, But Solar and Wind Lag
- China COSCO Eyes New Terminal at Spain's Largest Container Port
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- China Edges Closer to a Liquidity Trap
- First China Made Bullet Train Makes Maiden Trip
- Souring Business, Xenophobia Makes China Dream Lose Its Appeal for African Migrants
- China to Bring Back Equity Incentives for SOE Employees
- Farewell Medal Mania, Hello Sports Reform
- Dalian Wanda's Property Arm To Delist from Hong Kong in September
- China Behind on Plans to Trim Overcapacity
- Alibaba Rakes in Millions Selling Co-branding Rights to Double 11 Gala
- Can Baseball Finally Hit a Home Run in China?
- Car-Hailing Firms Try New Business Frontiers