Liu Yandong is State Councilor and one of the two women on the Politburo. Born in Nantong, Jiangsu Province, Liu has a degree in chemical engineering from Tsinghua University, and also holds a master's in political science and a law doctorate.
From 1970 to 1980, she worked at chemical plants in Hebei Province and Beijing, rising to senior positions in factories. From 1980 to 1982, she worked for the Organization Department in Beijing's Chaoyang District, then served as the secretary for the Communist Youth League. She joined the All-China Youth Foundation, ultimately becoming its president. In 1991, she joined the United Front, later becoming the chairwoman.
- Taobao, Gov't Get Real Testy over Fake Goods Accusations
- Shanghai Official Urges More Couples to Have Second Child
- Chinese Cities Go off Rails in Effort to Attract New Train Stations
- Water Works
- Risky Bridges?
- Planting the Seeds of Agricultural Reform
- Lanzhou Shames CNPC Unit for Pollution Crises
- Tour Bus Crash
- Surprise Exercise
- Two-Thirds of Provinces Say They Missed GDP Growth Targets in 2014
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Samsung Loses Connection with Chinese Consumers in 2014
- Scandal-Hit GlaxoSmithKline 'to Lay Off 1,000 Employees in China'
- China Boots Up an Internet Banking Industry
- Gov't Had Reservations about Selling Stake in Citic Ltd. to Foreigners
- Caught in Rising China's Centrifuge
- Downfall of Party Internet Policeman 'Helped Lead to National Cleanup Campaign'
- Embattled Founder Securities 'Cannot Reach Its Chairman'
- Provincial, Regional Gov'ts Prepare for a More Frugal Future
- Banks Trying Direct Route to Online Future
- Gov't to Give Employees 60 Pct Pay Hike as Part of Pension Reform