When Tradition is Flattened by Policy
Lately, a "tomb-flattening policy" in Henan Province has been creating intense controversy. Millions of tombs have reportedly been destroyed by local authorities so graveyards can be converted into farmland.
This policy can be seen as the historical continuity of the funeral reform implemented after the founding of the People's Republic in 1949, when burials were discouraged and cremation became mandatory to save land.
- Deadly Plunge
- Investor Accuses ABC of Insider Trading over Sale of State-Owned Firm's Bonds
- Tech Progress Depends on More Reform, Including for Intellectual Property
- Did a Chinese Insurer Cross the Investor Line?
- Caixin China PMI: Chilly April for Factories with Index Falling to 49.4
- Fast Track
- Fund Used to Bailout Stock Markets Lose 12 percent in Value
- Former Head of CDB Leasing Denies Taking Bribes from China Southern Airlines
- Coal Addiction Spells Trouble for Wind Power Producers
- Crash Site
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter