Fulfilling the Pension Promise
A proposal to revamp China's pension scheme is bringing hopes of a stronger safety net. The government has launched a public consultation on a plan that will allow people to switch between three existing types of pension insurance. If approved, the flexibility will go some ways to addressing long-standing criticism of the current system.
China needs a social security system that is commensurate with its
development. A good system ensures social changes keep pace with changes in the
economy. It safeguards stability and is a necessary feature in any prosperous
The government's efforts over the past decade to improve social security have been commendable. Most recently at the 18th party congress, it pledged that all urban and rural residents should be covered by a social security system that is sustainable, fair and mobile. Given the current shortfalls, this is an ambitious goal.
- Closer Look: Letting Foreign Investors Open Wholly Owned Hospitals Hardly a Cure-All
- Closer Look: Auto Industry Revved Up over Reports Rules for Imports May Change
- CNPC Pays CN$ 1 Bln To Finish Canadian Oil Sands Purchase
- Shipbuilders See More Vessel Orders, but Profits Not Trailing in Their Wake
- Chongqing Flood
- Back on Track
- Where is the money
- China Unicom Agrees to Host Tesla Rechargers at Its Branches
- Two Shanxi Officials with Troubled Pasts Now Graft Suspects Themselves
- Agricultural Bank's Chairman Said to Take Party Post in Jilin
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Closer Look: Anti-Corruption Czar Makes Noteworthy Appearance at CPPCC Meeting
- Retired NDRC Pricing Official 'Detained at Beijing Airport'
- Haier's New Look: 'Micro-Enterprise' Platform
- Cyanide Found in Dog Meat Sold to Restaurants, Zhejiang Court Hears
- More Officials in Scandal-Hit Shanxi Come under CDIC Scrutiny
- Former Auditor at China Resources Group 'Detained by Police'
- Why Anti-Monopoly Investigations Are Happening Now
- No Free Rides in Iraq
- Vanke Tries Promotion with Taobao amid Slowing Sales
- Baidu Disconnects from Its Plan to Join Gov't Telecoms Pilot