Fulfilling the Pension Promise
A proposal to revamp China's pension scheme is bringing hopes of a stronger safety net. The government has launched a public consultation on a plan that will allow people to switch between three existing types of pension insurance. If approved, the flexibility will go some ways to addressing long-standing criticism of the current system.
China needs a social security system that is commensurate with its
development. A good system ensures social changes keep pace with changes in the
economy. It safeguards stability and is a necessary feature in any prosperous
The government's efforts over the past decade to improve social security have been commendable. Most recently at the 18th party congress, it pledged that all urban and rural residents should be covered by a social security system that is sustainable, fair and mobile. Given the current shortfalls, this is an ambitious goal.
- Zuckerberg Impresses Tsinghua Students with His Chinese, Even Talks Tech
- Rise and Fall of a Coal Boomtown in Shanxi Province
- Despite Ban, County Holds Convict Parade Days before Rule of Law Plenum
- Paris Expatriate
- Loft Horizon
- Fourth Plenum
- Which Way for Smartphone Swipe and Pay?
- Do you have faith in the central government's plans for cutting air pollution?
- Media Executive Who Ignored Mobile Internet Takes His Leave
- Chinese Firms 'Want to Build Bullet Trains for California Project'
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- The Yellow Pearls of China: Women with a PhD
- Graphics: Ghost Towns
- Researchers Cast Doubt on State Council Goals to Cut Air Pollution
- China Nears Deal with Mexico to Export Bullet Trains for First Time
- Eight Killed and 18 Injured in Riot in Kunming Suburb, Local Gov't Says
- Graphics: The Fourth Plenum
- Huge Vale Ship Arrived in Qingdao with 300,000 Tons of Iron Ore
- The Golden Lands: Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand & Vietnam
- Revision of Securities Law Is Chance to Liberalize Market
- Silver Screen Industry Strikes Investor Gold