Fulfilling the Pension Promise
A proposal to revamp China's pension scheme is bringing hopes of a stronger safety net. The government has launched a public consultation on a plan that will allow people to switch between three existing types of pension insurance. If approved, the flexibility will go some ways to addressing long-standing criticism of the current system.
China needs a social security system that is commensurate with its
development. A good system ensures social changes keep pace with changes in the
economy. It safeguards stability and is a necessary feature in any prosperous
The government's efforts over the past decade to improve social security have been commendable. Most recently at the 18th party congress, it pledged that all urban and rural residents should be covered by a social security system that is sustainable, fair and mobile. Given the current shortfalls, this is an ambitious goal.
- Zhang Zhixin: The Woman who took on the 'Gang of Four'
- Growing Pains
- Cathay: Ezra Pound's re-imagination of Chinese Poetry
- The Clash of Titans: A Look Back at the Sino-Indian War
- Talking Time
- Most of World's Synthetic Drugs Made in China, Police Admit
- PetroChina Selling Half of Subsidiary Running Central Asian Pipelines
- Insurance Executive Said to Die in Office Days after Probe Started
- Progress at Universities Requires Outside Help, College President Says
- To Curb Carbon Emissions, Focus on New Consumers on the Move
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Wang Jianlin on Why the Wanda Phenomenon Works
- How a New Idea for Revamping the Economy Is Taking Shape
- The Real Drivers of China's New Culture Movement
- Chinese Gov't 'Causes an Investment Gap with U.S.'
- Banks' Total Value of Bad Loans Rises for 16th Straight Quarter
- Gov't Announces Plan to Clean Up Rural Areas by 2020
- Closer Look: Why Official Goals for Natural Gas Use Are in Doubt
- With Big TV Deal, China's Pro Soccer League Looks to Score
- Plan to Develop Two New Beijing Districts 'Flies in Face of Population Curbs'
- Closer Look: Baidu Joins Other Internet Giants to Open a Bank