Future Growth? The Answer Is Megacities
The economic slowdown has led to a search for growth opportunities. Urbanization is being raised as a possibility for China's economy. It could be but not in the context being discussed. The country's growth in the future depends on raising productivity. Urbanization, if structured efficiently, could help in that regard.
Urbanization as an untapped resource is not available. When one travels through the countryside, it is apparent that old folks and children dominate. There isn't a big and untapped source of workers in their prime available for migration. The maximum source of labor available for migration is the children growing up to join their parents who already work in cities. It may add 1.5 percent to the existing urban population, similar to the natural growth rate in many countries and hardly a torrent requiring massive resources for building new cities and expanding existing ones.
- Closer Look: Letting Foreign Investors Open Wholly Owned Hospitals Hardly a Cure-All
- Closer Look: Auto Industry Revved Up over Reports Rules for Imports May Change
- CNPC Pays CN$ 1 Bln To Finish Canadian Oil Sands Purchase
- Shipbuilders See More Vessel Orders, but Profits Not Trailing in Their Wake
- Chongqing Flood
- Back on Track
- Where is the money
- China Unicom Agrees to Host Tesla Rechargers at Its Branches
- Two Shanxi Officials with Troubled Pasts Now Graft Suspects Themselves
- Agricultural Bank's Chairman Said to Take Party Post in Jilin
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Closer Look: Anti-Corruption Czar Makes Noteworthy Appearance at CPPCC Meeting
- Retired NDRC Pricing Official 'Detained at Beijing Airport'
- Haier's New Look: 'Micro-Enterprise' Platform
- Cyanide Found in Dog Meat Sold to Restaurants, Zhejiang Court Hears
- More Officials in Scandal-Hit Shanxi Come under CDIC Scrutiny
- Former Auditor at China Resources Group 'Detained by Police'
- No Free Rides in Iraq
- Why Anti-Monopoly Investigations Are Happening Now
- Vanke Tries Promotion with Taobao amid Slowing Sales
- Baidu Disconnects from Its Plan to Join Gov't Telecoms Pilot