Closer Look: New Year Not So Happy for Officials Seeking Fund-raising Options
As local government officials looked forward to the new year, some hoped Beijing would relax restrictions on their financing tools.
Instead, they were hit with tougher rules.
"The four ministries' joint notification really grabbed us by the neck," said the manager of a local government financing platform (LGFP) company in Guizhou Province.
The document he referred to was released on December 24 by the Ministry of Finance, the central bank, the China Banking Regulatory Commission and the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC).
- A Place Called Home
- Unraveling the Myth of A Korean Robin Hood
- Bearing Witness to the China Story
- Japan at Nature's Edge
- Government Debt Risk Under Control, Finance Ministry Says
- Why Property Financing Drew Blood in Nanyang
- Illicit Haul
- Graphics: Ageing Muscle
- Leak Blamed for Beijing Water Shutoff
- Grids Show Little Interest in E-Car Charging
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- China Scores with Aston Villa Soccer Deal
- Exposing the Brutality of False Benevolence
- Chinese Consortium in Malaysia to Lobby for Multi-Billion Dollar Rail Project
- How India is Stepping Out of China's Shadow
- Commercial Debt Dodgers Pressure China's Banks
- Doctor Beaten to Death in Hunan by a Patient's Family
- Death of Young Man in Custody Raises Suspicion of Police Brutality
- Private Players Entering Oil Import Trade Flares Demand for Crude
- Top Publisher Arrested on Bribery Charges, Prosecutors say
- Internet Companies Rev Up Auto Sector Engines