Closer Look: New Year Not So Happy for Officials Seeking Fund-raising Options
As local government officials looked forward to the new year, some hoped Beijing would relax restrictions on their financing tools.
Instead, they were hit with tougher rules.
"The four ministries' joint notification really grabbed us by the neck," said the manager of a local government financing platform (LGFP) company in Guizhou Province.
The document he referred to was released on December 24 by the Ministry of Finance, the central bank, the China Banking Regulatory Commission and the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC).
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- How the Hammer Falls as China Nails Corruption
- CNPC Continues to Be Hit by Scandal as Two More Executives Fall
- Market Reforms, Fight against Corruption Go Hand in Hand, Expert Says
- Why Do Foreign Brands 'Break Bad' in China?
- Graphics: Zhou Yongkang's Tangled Path
- What Li Keqiang Asks in Meetings with Economists
- Central Committee Announces Inquiry into Ex-Security Boss Zhou Yongkang
- Alibaba Said to Delay New York Listing until after Labor Day
- Sheila Patel: Investors Should Be 'Positive' about China Stocks
- Graft Fight Will Take Years, U.S. Expert Says, but China Is Heading in Right Direction