End of Baijiu Binge Means Party Is Over for Producers, Dealers
(Beijing) – Dizzying sales of the popular Chinese hard liquor baijiu in recent years have given way to a hangover that has been painful to producers and a headache for dealers.
Since the Communist Party's 18th National Congress last year, the central government has campaigned against corruption and lavish spending. The Politburo said in December that local governments should not arrange banquets for visiting central government officials. As a chaser, that same month the Central Military Commission said military officials should not drink alcohol when they visit subordinate units.
- Postal Savings Bank of China Falls on Hong Kong Exchange as Stabilization Period Ends
- Unfounded Media Reports on New 'High-Income' Tax Bracket Cause Stir
- Regulators Beef Up Curbs on Property Developers' Efforts to Generate Funds
- Australian Government Panel Approves Chinese Group's Offer for Vitamin Maker
- JD.com Fires 10 Employees for Graft
- Management Changes, Police Probe Highlight Difficulties Facing Ping An Bank
- HNA Buys 25% Stake in Hilton for $6.5 Billion
- Transparency, Better Institutions Needed to Push Anti-Corruption Drive Forward
- Closer Look: Is Cutting Steel Overcapacity Working as Well As it Appears?
- Shanghai Plans to Issue 3 Billion Yuan of FTZ Municipal Bonds
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Chinese Workers' Salaries Fail to Keep Pace with GDP Growth, Study Finds
- Air China Jet Flies in Wrong Direction after Takeoff
- Air-Scrubbing Tower Gives Beijingers Breathing Room
- China's Largest Cities Attracting Fewer Migrants, Study Shows
- Holiday-Season Ticket Sales See First Decline In Nearly Decade
- Gap Between Outbound Direct Investment, Foreign Direct Investment Continues to Grow
- Poor Parenting Hinders Development of China's Rural Children, Study Shows
- Debt-To-Equity Can't Be The Only Way to Deal With Corporate Debt
- Online Travel Site Qunar Agrees to $4.44 Billion Buyout
- Senior Party Officials Indicted for Corruption Appear in New TV Show