Zinc Agony in Hezhang
A zinc production facility in Magu
(Beijing) -- For more than a decade, many residents in Aweizhai, a small village deep in the mountains of Magu Township, Hezhang County of Guizhou Province, have complained of intense pains in their shoulder muscles, arms, lower back, legs and knees. They've been diagnosed with rheumatism by local doctors.
However, a 2007 study by researchers at Guizhou Academy of Environmental Science and Design found the soil in Hezhang contained excessive levels of cadmium. Caixin learned from local villagers that roughly 1,200 mu out of the total 25,500 in Magu Township were used for zinc extraction plants or waste dump sites. Local authorities have refused to release precise figures for polluted soil area, but experts say the symptoms that the villagers feel are similar to that of cadmium contamination.
- Closer Look: Letting Foreign Investors Open Wholly Owned Hospitals Hardly a Cure-All
- Closer Look: Auto Industry Revved Up over Reports Rules for Imports May Change
- CNPC Pays CN$ 1 Bln To Finish Canadian Oil Sands Purchase
- Shipbuilders See More Vessel Orders, but Profits Not Trailing in Their Wake
- Chongqing Flood
- Back on Track
- Where is the money
- China Unicom Agrees to Host Tesla Rechargers at Its Branches
- Two Shanxi Officials with Troubled Pasts Now Graft Suspects Themselves
- Agricultural Bank's Chairman Said to Take Party Post in Jilin
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Closer Look: Anti-Corruption Czar Makes Noteworthy Appearance at CPPCC Meeting
- Retired NDRC Pricing Official 'Detained at Beijing Airport'
- Haier's New Look: 'Micro-Enterprise' Platform
- Cyanide Found in Dog Meat Sold to Restaurants, Zhejiang Court Hears
- More Officials in Scandal-Hit Shanxi Come under CDIC Scrutiny
- Former Auditor at China Resources Group 'Detained by Police'
- Why Anti-Monopoly Investigations Are Happening Now
- No Free Rides in Iraq
- Vanke Tries Promotion with Taobao amid Slowing Sales
- Baidu Disconnects from Its Plan to Join Gov't Telecoms Pilot