Despite Personnel Change at CSRC, Reforms Must Proceed
With his departure as chairman of the China Securities Regulatory Commission, Guo Shuqing became the agency's most short-lived chief. We don't know how he felt, but the stock market swing on March 18, the day Xiao Gang took office, suggested that investors were not yet sure what to expect of Guo's successor.
Guo's departure after 17 months in office is not good news for a securities market in need of overhaul. The various schemes he launched were aimed at long-term market reform, and their effects can only be felt after a few years of implementation. To be sure, the deregulation of the stock market and funds must continue to prevent a return of the old ills; efforts to securitize bonds and assets will come to a dead end if they are put on hold now; and the "zero tolerance" audit policy, especially, must be fully backed, for there can be no U-turn.
- CDIC Investigates Chinalco Head after Reports He Abused His Power
- New-Energy Car Market Is Open Road, BYD CEO Wang Chuanfu Says
- PBOC Punishes Payment Companies for Mishandling Bank Card Transactions
- Cabinet Said to Mull Reforms to Country's Nearly 1,800 State-Owned Farms
- The Long Journey to the Rule of Law
- Silent Scourge
- APEC Barriers
- Official in Shanxi City 'Falls to His Death after Facing Investigators'
- Sinopec Picks 25 Investors to Hold Stake in Sales Unit
- The Week in Photos: September 5 – 12
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Spectre of Corruption Haunts Huawei
- Will Education Firm New Oriental Learn or Lose?
- UnionPay, Apple Said to Agree on U.S. Firm's New Payment Technology
- Coming to Grips with Ammonia in China's Haze
- Gov't Again Cracks Down on Schools for Migrant Workers' Children
- Closer Look: Alibaba's Looming IPO Sends Shockwaves through Bourses at Home, Abroad
- Gov't Cobbles Together Funding for Slum Renovation Projects
- Media Outlet Blackmailed over 100 Companies, Xinhua Reports
- Shenzhen's Qianhai Zone Joins Overseas E-Commerce Pilot
- Cutting Pay of SOE Bosses Just the Beginning of Necessary Changes