Alipay and UnionPay Battle over How Payments Are Processed
(Beijing) – A clash between two titans in the country's payment industry has shed light on the worsening tension between challengers and a monopoly defending its privileges.
The conflict surfaced when Alipay, the third-party payment arm of e-commerce giant Alibaba Group, said on August 27 that it will stop its offline point-of-sales (POS) service for "obvious reasons."
- WeChat 'Glitch' Allows Family to Raise over 2 Million Yuan in 80 Minutes
- China's VAT Rebate Reform Aims to Boost Local Government Fiscal Strength
- Share Splits Raise Stock Market Suspicions
- China Faces Severe Coal Transport Capacity Shortage
- Audi Scraps Plans for New China Dealer Network
- Regions Found to Have 'Critical' Heavy Metal Emissions Now Clean Up Act
- Official PMI Spikes as Producer Prices Rise, Exports Surge
- China Adds 10% Consumption Tax for Superluxury Cars
- News Calendar, December 5-11
- Caixin's Manufacturing Indicator Dips to 50.9 in November
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter