Picture of Pollution
The region comprising Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei Province suffered heavy air pollution during the third quarter, a report issued by the Ministry of Environmental Protection on October 22 says.
The report (Chinese version) is based on data from 74 cities around the nation. Of the 10 cities with the worst pollution in September, seven were in Hebei. Shanghai was among the 10 cities with best air quality last month.
Three regions were compared in the report: the Jingjinji region comprising Beijing, Tianjin and Heibei; the Yangtze River Delta region with its 25 cities; and the Pearl River Delta region with its nine cities. In Jingjinji, some 63 percent of days during the third quarter had air quality that fell short of the national standard. The figure for the Yangtze delta was 26.5 percent and that for the Pearl River Delta was 22.4 percent. The national standard covers 10 kinds of pollutants ranging from sulfur dioxide to particulate matter.
- Black Holes
- Mecca: The Sacred City
- Graphics: China's Overworked Workers
- Capital's Gov't Says Subway Fares Will Double Starting December
- Despite Minor Disputes, Ties with China Best in History, German Envoy Says
- "Happiest People"
- Wal-Mart Says It Has Laid Off 28 Managers, 90 Others
- Robot Waiter
- Nanning Stabbings
- Another Brother in Prominent Shanxi Family Is Target of Graft Investigation
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- The Low Official Found with Towering Pile of Cash, Gold and Properties
- Clearing the Air with a Sino-U.S. Climate Pact
- At Factory Waste Ponds, Fumes Choke Fantasies
- Justin Lin Ignores Population Factor with Growth Predictions
- Canceled Mexican Rail Contract Gives Chinese Firms Chance to Reflect
- Websites Offering Subtitles for Foreign TV Shows, Movies Shut Down
- China Needs All-Out Effort to Meet Emissions Goals, Experts Say
- A Passage to India
- Court to Rehear 1996 Murder Case that Ended with Suspect's Execution
- Scientists Issue Warning over Development of Coastal Wetlands