Picture of Pollution
The region comprising Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei Province suffered heavy air pollution during the third quarter, a report issued by the Ministry of Environmental Protection on October 22 says.
The report (Chinese version) is based on data from 74 cities around the nation. Of the 10 cities with the worst pollution in September, seven were in Hebei. Shanghai was among the 10 cities with best air quality last month.
Three regions were compared in the report: the Jingjinji region comprising Beijing, Tianjin and Heibei; the Yangtze River Delta region with its 25 cities; and the Pearl River Delta region with its nine cities. In Jingjinji, some 63 percent of days during the third quarter had air quality that fell short of the national standard. The figure for the Yangtze delta was 26.5 percent and that for the Pearl River Delta was 22.4 percent. The national standard covers 10 kinds of pollutants ranging from sulfur dioxide to particulate matter.
- 'Important Information' vs. Information that Is Important
- Lenovo Completes US$ 2.91 Bln Deal to Buy Motorola Mobility
- Large Railroad Manufacturers Said to Consider Merger
- Village Remake
- APEC Preview
- Skies Overhead
- Two or Three Things about Mr. Lu Xun
- Film: The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom
- Exhibition: The Past
- Wake up, Europe
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Rise and Fall of a Coal Boomtown in Shanxi Province
- Chinese Comfort Women: Testimonies from Imperial Japan's Sex Slaves
- Which Way for Smartphone Swipe and Pay?
- What is Authoritarianism?
- Zuckerberg Impresses Tsinghua Students with His Chinese, Even Talks Tech
- For China's Property Market, All Is Not Lost
- Cai Jinyong: A Chinese Voice at the Top of IFC
- Ministry Said to Propose Local Gov'ts Issuing Bonds to Cover Debts
- 4 Chinese Ships Stuck in Mexico since May over Iron Ore Dispute
- China Builds in Africa, but the Foundations Are Shallow