Picture of Pollution
The region comprising Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei Province suffered heavy air pollution during the third quarter, a report issued by the Ministry of Environmental Protection on October 22 says.
The report (Chinese version) is based on data from 74 cities around the nation. Of the 10 cities with the worst pollution in September, seven were in Hebei. Shanghai was among the 10 cities with best air quality last month.
Three regions were compared in the report: the Jingjinji region comprising Beijing, Tianjin and Heibei; the Yangtze River Delta region with its 25 cities; and the Pearl River Delta region with its nine cities. In Jingjinji, some 63 percent of days during the third quarter had air quality that fell short of the national standard. The figure for the Yangtze delta was 26.5 percent and that for the Pearl River Delta was 22.4 percent. The national standard covers 10 kinds of pollutants ranging from sulfur dioxide to particulate matter.
- Chongqing Flood
- Back on Track
- Where is the money
- China Unicom Agrees to Host Tesla Rechargers at Its Branches
- Two Shanxi Officials with Troubled Pasts Now Graft Suspects Themselves
- Agricultural Bank's Chairman Said to Take Party Post in Jilin
- After Success at Home, Smartphone Maker Eyes Long-Distance Call
- Magsaysay Award
- The Week in Photos: August 23 – 29
- Address Claims of Anti-Foreigner Bias in Monopoly Investigations
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Closer Look: Anti-Corruption Czar Makes Noteworthy Appearance at CPPCC Meeting
- Retired NDRC Pricing Official 'Detained at Beijing Airport'
- Haier's New Look: 'Micro-Enterprise' Platform
- Cyanide Found in Dog Meat Sold to Restaurants, Zhejiang Court Hears
- More Officials in Scandal-Hit Shanxi Come under CDIC Scrutiny
- Former Auditor at China Resources Group 'Detained by Police'
- Why Anti-Monopoly Investigations Are Happening Now
- No Free Rides in Iraq
- Vanke Tries Promotion with Taobao amid Slowing Sales
- Baidu Disconnects from Its Plan to Join Gov't Telecoms Pilot