Picture of Pollution
The region comprising Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei Province suffered heavy air pollution during the third quarter, a report issued by the Ministry of Environmental Protection on October 22 says.
The report (Chinese version) is based on data from 74 cities around the nation. Of the 10 cities with the worst pollution in September, seven were in Hebei. Shanghai was among the 10 cities with best air quality last month.
Three regions were compared in the report: the Jingjinji region comprising Beijing, Tianjin and Heibei; the Yangtze River Delta region with its 25 cities; and the Pearl River Delta region with its nine cities. In Jingjinji, some 63 percent of days during the third quarter had air quality that fell short of the national standard. The figure for the Yangtze delta was 26.5 percent and that for the Pearl River Delta was 22.4 percent. The national standard covers 10 kinds of pollutants ranging from sulfur dioxide to particulate matter.
- More than 21,000 Couples in Capital Apply to Have Second Baby
- Central Gov't Said to Plan Pilot Reform of Rural Asset Ownership
- Big Umbrella
- Abe Protest
- Lost in Translation
- Graphics: Fully Loaded
- Can Doctors Cut the Public Hospital Cord?
- Local Gov't Criticized for Linking Blood Donations to Middle School Test
- The Week in Photos: September 20 – 26
- Goodbye Lenin
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Alibaba's IPO Was Huge, but Analysts Say Investors Have Reasons to Worry
- A Five-Minute History of Hong Kong
- After Overseas Rush, Chinese Firms' Iron Ore Projects Run into Trouble
- A Chinese Dream in America
- Adobe to Shutter China Operations in October, Employees Say
- Graphic: Alibaba's Big Deal
- HK Tycoons Defend Giant Gift to Harvard's Medical School
- Gov't Again Tries Trimming the Fat by Slashing Pay of SOE Executives
- CCTV Airs Program on Conditions for Fallen Officials in Guangdong Prison
- How Chinese Universities Can Learn the Largesse Game