Pick Your Poison
GDP targeting no longer serves a good purpose. It sends a dangerous signal for resisting economic restructuring and sustaining speculation. Continuation of GDP targeting would lead to an economic hard landing and massive non-performing loans.
The recent upturn in GDP growth is not good news for China. It has occurred by further increasing the economic imbalance and prolonging speculation. It merely delays the inevitable economic restructuring and increases its final cost.
- Media Watch: Former Star Reporter Causes Stir with Smog Documentary
- Ant Financial Subsidiary Starts Offering Individual Credit Scores
- Attempt to Gain New Investor Failed, New China Life Insurance Says
- Graphics: Coming and Going
- The Week in Photos: February 21-27
- Oil Giants Dispute Reports that Gov't Is Considering Mergers
- Going Out
- The Soft Edge of Cut Paper
- The Sino-Russian Challenge to the World Order
- Kalidasa for the 21st Century Reader: Selected Poetry and Drama
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Minsheng Tries Weathering a Maelstrom
- Three Private Shipping Companies Run into Financial Troubles
- Can Market Mechanisms Clear China's Bad Air?
- Closer Look: Local Officials Have Little Love for National Hukou Reform
- State Patronage Divides Confucian Intellectuals
- Tourism Tensions Have HK Mulling Limits on Visitor Numbers
- Experts Split on Whether Merger of Taxi App Firms Breaks Law
- Is It Time to Include the Yuan in IMF Basket?
- Gov't Orders Documentary about Gays, Lesbians Removed from Net
- Gov't Moves on GM Crops Spur Industry's Cautious Optimism