On 'Double 11' Day, Alibaba and Others See Exponential Growth in E-Sales
(Beijing) – In China, November 11 is called "Double 11," but the country's popular e-commerce companies enjoy sales exponentially greater than the average day.
In less than six minutes, around 1 billion yuan worth transactions were processed on Alibaba Group's online shopping sites Taobao and Tmall.
Alibaba started the shopping tradition in 2009. Net users had already made it something of a special day every year by playfully referring to November 11 – or 11/11 – as "singles day."
- 'Important Information' vs. Information that Is Important
- Lenovo Completes US$ 2.91 Bln Deal to Buy Motorola Mobility
- Large Railroad Manufacturers Said to Consider Merger
- Village Remake
- APEC Preview
- Skies Overhead
- Two or Three Things about Mr. Lu Xun
- Film: The White Haired Witch of Lunar Kingdom
- Exhibition: The Past
- Wake up, Europe
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Rise and Fall of a Coal Boomtown in Shanxi Province
- Chinese Comfort Women: Testimonies from Imperial Japan's Sex Slaves
- Which Way for Smartphone Swipe and Pay?
- What is Authoritarianism?
- Zuckerberg Impresses Tsinghua Students with His Chinese, Even Talks Tech
- For China's Property Market, All Is Not Lost
- Cai Jinyong: A Chinese Voice at the Top of IFC
- 4 Chinese Ships Stuck in Mexico since May over Iron Ore Dispute
- Ministry Said to Propose Local Gov'ts Issuing Bonds to Cover Debts
- China Builds in Africa, but the Foundations Are Shallow