On 'Double 11' Day, Alibaba and Others See Exponential Growth in E-Sales
(Beijing) – In China, November 11 is called "Double 11," but the country's popular e-commerce companies enjoy sales exponentially greater than the average day.
In less than six minutes, around 1 billion yuan worth transactions were processed on Alibaba Group's online shopping sites Taobao and Tmall.
Alibaba started the shopping tradition in 2009. Net users had already made it something of a special day every year by playfully referring to November 11 – or 11/11 – as "singles day."
- WeChat 'Glitch' Allows Family to Raise over 2 Million Yuan in 80 Minutes
- China's VAT Rebate Reform Aims to Boost Local Government Fiscal Strength
- Share Splits Raise Stock Market Suspicions
- China Faces Severe Coal Transport Capacity Shortage
- Audi Scraps Plans for New China Dealer Network
- Regions Found to Have 'Critical' Heavy Metal Emissions Now Clean Up Act
- Official PMI Spikes as Producer Prices Rise, Exports Surge
- China Adds 10% Consumption Tax for Superluxury Cars
- News Calendar, December 5-11
- Caixin's Manufacturing Indicator Dips to 50.9 in November
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter