Drawing a Red Line on Protecting the Environment
(Beijing) – In 2000, when scholar Gao Jixi and his team were helping the government of Anji County, in the eastern province of Zhejiang, address environmental issues he proposed the concept drawing an "ecological red line" around an area to be protected.
The county's leaders liked the idea. They spent 50 million yuan to move companies out of the area they set aside for environmental protection.
- WeChat 'Glitch' Allows Family to Raise over 2 Million Yuan in 80 Minutes
- China's VAT Rebate Reform Aims to Boost Local Government Fiscal Strength
- Share Splits Raise Stock Market Suspicions
- China Faces Severe Coal Transport Capacity Shortage
- Audi Scraps Plans for New China Dealer Network
- Regions Found to Have 'Critical' Heavy Metal Emissions Now Clean Up Act
- Official PMI Spikes as Producer Prices Rise, Exports Surge
- China Adds 10% Consumption Tax for Superluxury Cars
- News Calendar, December 5-11
- Caixin's Manufacturing Indicator Dips to 50.9 in November
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter