Drawing a Red Line on Protecting the Environment
(Beijing) – In 2000, when scholar Gao Jixi and his team were helping the government of Anji County, in the eastern province of Zhejiang, address environmental issues he proposed the concept drawing an "ecological red line" around an area to be protected.
The county's leaders liked the idea. They spent 50 million yuan to move companies out of the area they set aside for environmental protection.
- Deadly Plunge
- Investor Accuses ABC of Insider Trading over Sale of State-Owned Firm's Bonds
- Tech Progress Depends on More Reform, Including for Intellectual Property
- Did a Chinese Insurer Cross the Investor Line?
- Caixin China PMI: Chilly April for Factories with Index Falling to 49.4
- Fast Track
- Fund Used to Bailout Stock Markets Lose 12 percent in Value
- Former Head of CDB Leasing Denies Taking Bribes from China Southern Airlines
- Coal Addiction Spells Trouble for Wind Power Producers
- Crash Site
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter