Yi Gang: China's Forward-Thinking Forex Chief
(Beijing) -- China's foreign exchange reserves reached an extraordinary US$ 3.66 trillion as of October 1, up from about US$ 2 trillion in July 2009 when People's Bank of China Deputy Governor Yi Gang was given a dual position as administrator of the State Administration of Foreign Exchange (SAFE).
Yi has thus presided over a period of dramatic growth for the nation's forex reserves, supervised by SAFE under the control of the central bank. He has also personally experienced every notable twist and turn in China's evolving financial sector since joining the central bank in 1997 and winning the deputy governor position in 2007.
- WeChat 'Glitch' Allows Family to Raise over 2 Million Yuan in 80 Minutes
- China's VAT Rebate Reform Aims to Boost Local Government Fiscal Strength
- Share Splits Raise Stock Market Suspicions
- China Faces Severe Coal Transport Capacity Shortage
- Audi Scraps Plans for New China Dealer Network
- Regions Found to Have 'Critical' Heavy Metal Emissions Now Clean Up Act
- Official PMI Spikes as Producer Prices Rise, Exports Surge
- China Adds 10% Consumption Tax for Superluxury Cars
- News Calendar, December 5-11
- Caixin's Manufacturing Indicator Dips to 50.9 in November
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter