E-Investing Spurs Banks to Raise Interest Rates for Deposits
(Beijing) – Many big banks in the country have moved to offer the highest possible interest rates for deposits despite the central bank's advice they not do this.
The lenders had to act because they were losing customers fast to the emerging league of high-yield money market funds offered by Internet companies such as Alibaba Group and Tencent Holdings, an executive at a large bank said.
- WeChat 'Glitch' Allows Family to Raise over 2 Million Yuan in 80 Minutes
- China's VAT Rebate Reform Aims to Boost Local Government Fiscal Strength
- Share Splits Raise Stock Market Suspicions
- China Faces Severe Coal Transport Capacity Shortage
- Audi Scraps Plans for New China Dealer Network
- Regions Found to Have 'Critical' Heavy Metal Emissions Now Clean Up Act
- Official PMI Spikes as Producer Prices Rise, Exports Surge
- China Adds 10% Consumption Tax for Superluxury Cars
- News Calendar, December 5-11
- Caixin's Manufacturing Indicator Dips to 50.9 in November
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter