Closer Look: Developers Build Banking Ties with Stake Purchases
(Beijing) – A booming property market – some would say bubble – doesn't appear to be enough for some developers. Now they're branching out into banking.
Hong Kong-listed Evergrande Real Estate Group expanded into banking by acquiring a 4.5 percent stake in Beijing-based Huaxia Bank for 3.3 billion yuan last week.
A source close to the property developer said the purchase is a strategic investment. Huaxia has a strong balance sheet that can improve Evergrande's financials. It may help Evergrande finance at a lower cost, he said.
- Mountain Highway
- General Who Led PLA Said to Be Expelled from Party
- Eurozone Debt Rises Again, but Few Care
- Surging Grain Imports Spurring Officials to Rethink Policies
- China's Billion Dollar Question: Why Are Forex Figures Falling?
- A Tripolar Currency Regime Is in the Offing
- Party Official Puts Charges TV Maker's Boss Broke Law Online
- Proposed Law Gives Gov't Too Much Control of Internet, Experts Say
- Testing Times
- Views: Privacy Problem
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Investor Angry at Gov't Role in Stock Market Rout in Apparent Suicide (updated)
- Cheers, Fears for China's Next Step Overseas
- Who and What is Chinese?
- Tech Takeoff Lifts Drone Industry to New Heights
- Villain or Hero for Stock Market Saga?
- Hanergy Thin Film Power Removed From Stock Connect Program
- Early Caixin Manufacturing PMI for July at 48.2 Points
- The Right Approach to the PPP Model
- Bullet Trains Off-Limits to People Failing to Make Court-Ordered Payments
- Hebei's Big Idea for Clean Coal Yields Few Results