Closer Look: Developers Build Banking Ties with Stake Purchases
(Beijing) – A booming property market – some would say bubble – doesn't appear to be enough for some developers. Now they're branching out into banking.
Hong Kong-listed Evergrande Real Estate Group expanded into banking by acquiring a 4.5 percent stake in Beijing-based Huaxia Bank for 3.3 billion yuan last week.
A source close to the property developer said the purchase is a strategic investment. Huaxia has a strong balance sheet that can improve Evergrande's financials. It may help Evergrande finance at a lower cost, he said.
- Lianghui Quotes: March 12
- In Wednesday's Papers: 19 Domestic Insurers Affected by Missing Flight, First Audit of Gov't Land Sales Due Early Next Year
- Caixin Explains: What Are E-Credit Cards and How Do They Work?
- Private Banks in Pilot Will Have Four Models to Choose From
- MH370 Co-Pilot
- The Best Way for China to Address Terrorism
- Keep Expectations for NDRC Reform Limited
- Lianghui Quotes: March 11
- In Tuesday's Papers: Interest Rates Freed within Two Years, PBOC Head Says; Legislators Mull Creating Anti-Terror Law
- Closer Look: JD.com, Tencent Both Have to Like their Big Deal
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Eyes on the Prize
- Li Ka-shing's Remedy for 'Coddled' HK
- Zhou Family Was Influential in Jiangsu City before Corruption Inquiry
- Jilted U.S. Investors and Debtors on the Run
- Caixin Explains: The 'Lianghui' Meetings
- U.S. Economy, Regulatory Approach Reaching Higher Ground, Policy Veteran Volcker Says
- China to Grow at 7.5 Pct and Focus on Reforms, Premier Says
- Caixin Explains: How MH370 Should Have Been Able to Send Emergency Message
- Li Ka-shing: Continued Progress Depends on Embracing Technology
- Graphics: Rich Representatives