Closer Look: Developers Build Banking Ties with Stake Purchases
(Beijing) – A booming property market – some would say bubble – doesn't appear to be enough for some developers. Now they're branching out into banking.
Hong Kong-listed Evergrande Real Estate Group expanded into banking by acquiring a 4.5 percent stake in Beijing-based Huaxia Bank for 3.3 billion yuan last week.
A source close to the property developer said the purchase is a strategic investment. Huaxia has a strong balance sheet that can improve Evergrande's financials. It may help Evergrande finance at a lower cost, he said.
- Zhang Zhixin: The Woman who took on the 'Gang of Four'
- Growing Pains
- Cathay: Ezra Pound's re-imagination of Chinese Poetry
- The Clash of Titans: A Look Back at the Sino-Indian War
- Talking Time
- Most of World's Synthetic Drugs Made in China, Police Admit
- PetroChina Selling Half of Subsidiary Running Central Asian Pipelines
- Insurance Executive Said to Die in Office Days after Probe Started
- Progress at Universities Requires Outside Help, College President Says
- To Curb Carbon Emissions, Focus on New Consumers on the Move
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- Wang Jianlin on Why the Wanda Phenomenon Works
- How a New Idea for Revamping the Economy Is Taking Shape
- The Real Drivers of China's New Culture Movement
- Chinese Gov't 'Causes an Investment Gap with U.S.'
- Banks' Total Value of Bad Loans Rises for 16th Straight Quarter
- Gov't Announces Plan to Clean Up Rural Areas by 2020
- With Big TV Deal, China's Pro Soccer League Looks to Score
- Plan to Develop Two New Beijing Districts 'Flies in Face of Population Curbs'
- Closer Look: Why Official Goals for Natural Gas Use Are in Doubt
- Closer Look: Baidu Joins Other Internet Giants to Open a Bank