Caixin Explains: The 'Lianghui' Meetings
(Beijing) – Top lawmakers and political advisors from all over the country are gathering in the capital this week for this year's "lianghui," or sessions of the National People's Congress (NPC) and the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC).
The NPC will meet from March 5 to 13, and the CPPCC runs from March 3 to 12. The public and China watchers are especially interested in the meetings because they are the first to be held since the Communist Party announced a reform blueprint at the third full meeting of its 18th Central Committee in November.
- Scientists Issue Warning over Development of Coastal Wetlands
- Clearing the Air with a Sino-U.S. Climate Pact
- Rate Cuts Will Give Short-Term Boost to Property Sales, Analysts Say
- Heshan Stabbing
- Built to Blast
- Views: Assessing APEC
- China Takes Another Step toward Capital Freedom
- Will the lower benchmark lending interest rate mean reduced borrowing costs for companies?
- Cuts to Benchmark Interest Rates Will Squeeze Banks' Profits, Analysts Say
- Court to Rehear 1996 Murder Case that Ended with Suspect's Execution
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- The Low Official Found with Towering Pile of Cash, Gold and Properties
- At Factory Waste Ponds, Fumes Choke Fantasies
- Some Shanghai FTZ Reform Ideas Introduced to Rest of Country
- Closer Look: Why Shanghai-Hong Kong Stock Connect Was One-Way Road
- Justin Lin Ignores Population Factor with Growth Predictions
- Canceled Mexican Rail Contract Gives Chinese Firms Chance to Reflect
- A Passage to India
- Sixth NEA Official This Year Is Investigated for Corruption
- Websites Offering Subtitles for Foreign TV Shows, Movies Shut Down
- Head of Troubled Li-Ning Co. Hands Baton to Company's Founder