Caixin Explains: The 'Lianghui' Meetings
(Beijing) – Top lawmakers and political advisors from all over the country are gathering in the capital this week for this year's "lianghui," or sessions of the National People's Congress (NPC) and the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC).
The NPC will meet from March 5 to 13, and the CPPCC runs from March 3 to 12. The public and China watchers are especially interested in the meetings because they are the first to be held since the Communist Party announced a reform blueprint at the third full meeting of its 18th Central Committee in November.
- Media Executive Who Ignored Mobile Internet Takes His Leave
- Chinese Firms 'Want to Build Bullet Trains for California Project'
- Outspoken Real Estate Boss Says He Is Retiring
- Investors Kick Tires on Auction Websites for Second-Hand Cars
- Courageous Steps Needed to Develop Rule of Law
- Luxury Complex
- Beyond Bars
- Caixin Podcast: Apple's Cloud of Suspicion
- Caixin Podcast: Tmall's Fake Phone Order Fiasco
- Ministry Said to Propose Local Gov'ts Issuing Bonds to Cover Debts
- Sign up to receive our free daily newsletter
- The Yellow Pearls of China: Women with a PhD
- Graphics: Ghost Towns
- China Nears Deal with Mexico to Export Bullet Trains for First Time
- Researchers Cast Doubt on State Council Goals to Cut Air Pollution
- Eight Killed and 18 Injured in Riot in Kunming Suburb, Local Gov't Says
- Party Detains Two Senior Officials for Corruption
- Huge Vale Ship Arrived in Qingdao with 300,000 Tons of Iron Ore
- Graphics: The Fourth Plenum
- Revision of Securities Law Is Chance to Liberalize Market
- The Golden Lands: Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Thailand & Vietnam